RAM (Random Access Memory)

What is RAM?

RAM or Random Access Memory is the "working memory" in a computer. Additional RAM added to your computer will work with more information at the same time which can have a dramatic effect on total system performance. For example, when I first purchased my computer, it only had 256 MB of RAM. A lot of times I found my PC freezing up when I was running more demand software. When I installed another 512 MB of RAM which gave me a total of 768 MB, I had no issues of freezing or crashing of my computer.

Each motherboard supports only a certain range of memory types in certain combinations so always check with your motherboard manufacturer before making a purchase.

A standard module or stick of memory is long and thin. On the bottom of the module is one or more notches and is usually lined with gold-plated connectors so that proper installation to the slots on the motherboard can be performed.

Memory modules come with various storage capabilities. You can purchase them in 256MB, 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, and 4GB sizes. I've now seen new personal computers come out with 6GB and now 8GB sizes but personally I think the maximum 4GB size is plenty enough memory for just about anybody.

Crucial technology is where I purchased my last memory module and is a very thorough site. You can also have your computer scanned by them to determine how many slots, memory currently installed, motherboard type, and more needed information. After the scan, it also recommends the correct type of memory to install.

No comments: